My child just swallowed a magnet?  Do I need to go to the ED?

If your child has only swallowed one magnet it should pass through the intestines without problem.  However, If your child is under the age of 2 years old or if you are unsure if your child swallowed more than one magnet or another piece of metal, they will need to be evaluated at the ED.  This usually involves an x-ray to make sure the magnets and/or metal have not adhered and caused a perforation in the stomach or intestine.  If your child develops abdominal pain after ingestion they need to be evaluated. 

Many magnets are found in plastic children's toys and can be detached easily. Always follow the manufacturer's safety guidelines when purchasing toys for your children.